On this blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Celebrations March 18, 2016


18 March, 2016 Celebrate The Small Things

Once upon a time, a lovely lady and writer and blogger named VikLit had the idea to start a blog hop commemorating the little things that make our lives (or weeks or days or moments) something to celebrate.  After some years, she turned it over to 
Lexa Cain and her two delightful co-hosts L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge and Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits,

I am celebrating the close of another week, the prospect of a (nearly) spring weekend, and the opportunity to get a little reading and writing done.

Spring is an important celebration, and it was heralded by 0the sudden appearance of a line of daffodils, just about ready to bloom, near the door to my garage.  They pushed up through last year's leaves and moss and there they are, like gold-tipped spears.

Of course, Friday's appearance is a wonderful thing to celebrate.  It is not that I grudge my day job, I simply like the time to step back and catch my breath.  Sleeping in on a Saturday morning is a prospect to celebrate.



It is nearly time to break out my quilts, one made by a very dear friend, the others heirlooms of various 'importance'.  I have a very old one, made in 1843, of blue-dyed and white cotton muslin, celebrating the marriage of two people, their names embroidered in red cross stitch on the corner.

Incidentally, if you have an old quilt, don't store it folded with the backer out.  The quilter friend told me that that strains the backing.  Always store quilts with the patterned side out.

Now you have something to celebrate!  (The way to store quilts that won't strain them.) and I can lose myself in the memory of the scent of laundry drying on a clothesline.

And  the arrival of Spring!
What are you celebrating?



10 comments:

  1. How lovely that it's spring there! It's my favourite season. Here, it's supposed to be autumn and yet, we're still sweltering record temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are approaching the first day of Spring on March 20. And would you believe that they are now calling for low temperatures and snow? Some day I will visit New Zealand, both for the scenery and for the people. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. As a Spring baby, I love Spring. Although it's still pretty Wintery here in UK. (Are you in the UK?). Enjoy a Saturday lie in :)

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my dislike of winter to the extent of rejoicing greatly when I realized that I was actually born at the very end of Autumn, not in winter. I do think winter is lovely. If you are sitting before a picture window, with a nice fire going and hot coffee or mulled cider beside you. Spring is the best! (In the U.S. as well as the U.K.)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilts and a good tip on how to store them. My sister made me a quilt many years ago which I still cherish. Have a wonderful weekend! Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that about quilts. I have to go check mine now and make sure I'm not doing that!

    This is my first Spring in the southern U.S., and it's been in the mid to upper 80's all week long. I miss having a proper spring.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the tip on quilts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daffodils coming up -- what a treat! I love those first daffodil blooms in the spring. I didn't know that about quilts. We have a few made by my grandmother and my husband's grandmother, so I'd better make sure they're not folded wrong. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daffodils are beautiful in spring! I love crocuses too. My mom adored antiques and we had a bunch of quilts (pewter plates, furniture, Audubon prints, and waste baskets - weird but true! lol). No quilts as historic as yours though. I've put away my blankets. Most days it feels like summer here. Have wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diana - your quilts are wonderful to see and read about - how amazing ... to own that one from 1854. I'm about to swap my duvets over ... not quite yet!

    Daffodils have been out since the beginning of the year - though most are out now, along with crocuses and snowdrops ... lovely .. enjoy your Spring weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete